Thursday, March 8, 2007

Two of My Great Grandparents

My parents are getting ready to move. Thus, they've been 'cleaning out the rafters,' so to speak.
My mother
literally found these photos in the rafters of the attic. She had forgotten about them.

May I present from my ancestral past, one set of my maternal great-grandparents:
Mary Margaret Lowe 1885 --1953 Born: Rathkeale, Ireland

Henry Raymond Downing 1879-- 1930 Born: St. John's, Newfoundland


Indeed the portraits are in bad condition (they were desperately taped together by my grandmother at one point).

But, they are over a 100 years years old!
These photos were taken in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. I would guess the date would be shortly after the time my great-grandparents were married (1902).
How strange it is, that with scanners, and photoshop, and other marvels of the digital world, we can preserve the past.
I'm hoping to have my artistic friend clean the portraits up.

No comments: