Monday, May 7, 2007

Hva Er Det Sheepfold?

In an urban environment, when we want to partake of nature, we take what we can get. I was very distraught this afternoon because a tree was cut down behind my apartment. A big, beautiful tree, always full of birds & squirrels, that seemed pretty healthy to me. Why???
As a result I needed to get out to
nature, quick.
In the Medford area, there's the Middlesex Fells, which is actually a fairly large expanse of land and water. Though surrounded by highway, you can actually hike quite a bit in the Fells. (I've even gotten lost a few times--thanks Julie) You can also experience some panoramic views of the Boston skyline.
This evening two friends and I went for a hike. We watched a spectacular sunset, walked around the reservoir, and scrambled over some rocks. We saw two goslings, which were very cute. We heard a woodpecker, and saw blue jays and robins.

Little goose, on the run
As we walked along the question arose--- one of the entrances to the Fells is called the Sheepfold. What is a sheepfold? Why is the field called the sheepfold?
My geeky 'internet queen' friend ran home after our hike & immediately researched the Middlesex Fells, Medford. If any of you are a-wondering, a sheepfold is a building where the sheep are kept. Apparently the Middlesex Fells was originally farm land from the 1700's until it became a reservoir.


Sheep very excited about the
sheepfold
I went a step further and researched the word 'fells.' Fell is an Old Norse word meaning 'treeless mountain landscape.' In Norwegian, it's 'Fjall.' That doesn't seem to make much sense, as the Middlesex Fells is hardly a mountain. But after the Vikings pillaged and overtook most of Northern England, in English a 'fell' was an 'area of uncultivated high ground used for grazing.' So there is the origin of the Middlesex Fells.

1 comment:

the author said...

did you take the photos? The sunset on the lake is beautiful. I actually like the word "fells"...the only other place I've ever heard it used is in Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings", when describing a bleak Troll-infested mountainous area as "troll fells"...I actually remember looking the word up myself when I first read the book in 1979.
Ever go to the Brooks Estate in West Medford? Not as big, but nice sometimes. Jonathan