Sunday, January 27, 2013

Books on Human Origins

One of the most fascinating topics for me is human history and human origins. I know many people could care less about this topic, but I have always been interested. Once at a family gathering my sister shouted sarcastically from the other room, "Why don't you come in here and sit with some of your living relatives, rather than the dead ones?" At the time I was at the computer looking up my 9th generation great grandfather in Norway. I suppose she had a point, but I'm not alone. Louis Leakey spent his life digging up bones of ancestors millions of years old!

With DNA analysis emerging and getting more and more sophisticated each year, soon perhaps all our questions will be answered. Of course DNA will not illuminate every query, but genetics indeed answers many questions without debate, such as the mixing of Neanderthals and humans. In fact I will soon be receiving my DNA analysis from National Geographic. I will find out how much Neanderthal DNA I have. Generally it's 3 to 5 percent for most Europeans. Since I'm pretty sure my ancestors originated from the British Isles and Scandinavia, going far back, I might be a bit Neanderthal. Rumor has it that's where red hair comes from in people from Scotland and Ireland!

Here is a list of books I've collected. I published them on Amazon Listamania!

Books About Human Origins




Extinct Humans
1.  Extinct Humans by Ian Tattersall


When God Was a Woman
2.  When God Was a Woman by Merlin Stone


'MAN IN THE ICE, THE'
3.  'MAN IN THE ICE, THE' by Konrad Spindler


Genes, Peoples, and Languages
4.  Genes, Peoples, and Languages by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza


Skeletons in Our Closet
5.  Skeletons in Our Closet by Clark Spencer Larsen


Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic Project
6.  Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic Project by Spencer Wells


Seven Daughters of Eve
7.  Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes


Mapping Human History: Genes, Race, and Our Common Origins
8.  Mapping Human History: Genes, Race, and Our Common Origins by Steve Olson


Reflections Of Our Past: How Human History Is Revealed In Our Genes
9.  Reflections Of Our Past: How Human History Is Revealed In Our Genes by John Relethford


Neanderthal
10.  Neanderthal by Paul Jordan


The First Human
11.  The First Human by Ann Gibbons


Before the Dawn
12.  Before the Dawn by T?son Shimazaki


African Exodus: The Origins of Modern Humanity
13.  African Exodus: The Origins of Modern Humanity by Chris Stringer


The Tribes of Britain
14.  The Tribes of Britain by David Miles


Ancestors: In Search of Human Origins
15.  Ancestors: In Search of Human Origins by Donald C. Johanson


Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species
16.  Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy


From Lucy to Language
17.  From Lucy to Language by David Brill


The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future
18.  The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future by Riane Tennenhaus Eisler


LAST NEANDERTHAL, THE
19.  LAST NEANDERTHAL, THE by Ian Tattersall





No comments: