Thursday, July 31, 2008

Reading

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, just what everyone laments they have never have the time to do. Spend the whole day reading. I have mixed feelings though. Part of me is thoroughly enjoying reading for hours. Another part of me feels like a useless blob lying around wasting my life away in fantasy land.

I imagine I'd be more reconciled to reading all day if it were a cold, blizzardy, winter day. Certainly there's not much else to do except sit in front of the fire with your fuzzy socks on, and read! (I can't go to work anyway, & I can't dig out the car!!!)

But there's the romance of 'summer reading' too, which, (apparently to my chagrin) I am able to indulge in. Don't we all have the fantasy of sitting on a breezy back porch at dusk, lounging on the beach, nestling near a shady pond, with a beloved book in hand?

But how many working adults actually get to do this? Or even when they can--- DO IT?


In case you were wondering, here are the books that have been interrupting my usual high level of productivity.
1. Red House "Being a Mostly Accurate Account of New England's Oldest Continuously Lived-in House." by Sarah Messer
Done
2. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
Abandoned
3. The Innocent Man: Murder & Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham
Done
4. To Believe in Women: What Lesbians Have Done for America-A History by Lillian Faderman
Reading
5. Awakening the Buddha Within: Tibetan Wisdom for the Western World by Lama Surya Das
Reading
6. Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors by Nicholas Wade
Done

Perhaps I am the better for it.

No comments: