Monday, March 24, 2008

World War I Soldier

This is my grandfather, William W., in his WWI uniform. Family lore has it that William enlisted with the Canadian troops, because he had flat feet and the Americans wouldn't take him.

More than likely, it was because he was born in St. John, New Brunswick, Canada.

When my grandfather enlisted, he was 19 1/2 years old. He is described as 5'9" (shorter than me), with blue eyes, brown hair, & 'a ruddy complexion.' His job at the time was 'waiter,' and he lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts with his mother.

I guess the adventure of wearing a uniform, getting paid, & going off to Europe was too hard to resist. This is the reason why many a soldier enlists....

My grandfather never spoke about his W.W.I experiences later in life...... to me at least. I only knew him as an old man with white hair, mostly sitting in his armchair smoking cigars & telling jokes.

I wish I knew his experiences, history buff that I am! Supposedly he also 'rode the rails' all around the U.S. after his wartime service.

Family lore has it that my grandfather William W. marched under the Arc de Triomphe in Paris at the end of the W.W.I. I would have liked to have heard his own words!

No comments: