Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Gifts of Xmas' Past & Present

My dad brought out this old camera to show me on Christmas Day. His brother Willie gave him the camera for Christmas when he was a little boy. My dad's had this camera for 60 years.

I looked up the make and model of the camera on Google. It took me just minutes to find out it was made by the Universal Camera Company in NYC, in the late 30's, early 40's. The company made several models from the 30's to the 50's, including a movie camera. Their idea was to create small cameras that were affordable. At the time, this camera cost one dollar. It neatly fits into the palm of your hand.


My unique gift this year was antique riding goggles, from my sister. I did an internet search on vintage goggles & found some similar models, but not the exact pair. I did find out a few facts though. The most interesting info. is that the eye rims are likely made of bake-lite, & the glasses were probably made in the 1930's or 40's. Lastly, as much as I'd like to picture them on the mug of some vintage, baronistic motorcyclist, they were likely used for welding. (Look at the damage on the lens, & they're tinted green). Still, with an added leather strap, they'll make a fine addition (with my vintage helmet) to my baron attire. Thanks, J!

No comments: