Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I've Heard the Mermaids Singing, Each to Each

What would life be without opera and classical music? At least that's what I think. Classical music is the experience that I need to ground myself. It makes me feel there's continuity to life, that the past is present, and that all sentient beings are connected. It makes me feel that I'm not alone in my dreaminess, and that there's something bigger than me that I'm part of. Classical music nears or is perfection. It gives me hope that art can transcend the mundane. Here's "The Flower Duet," from "Lakme," by Delibes. It's a love song between two women.

1 comment:

Nomad said...

Sadly the only thing that NOW comes to mind when I hear this is the Lesbian scene from the vampire film, The Hunger. For other people, they can only think of the airline commercial. Such a beautiful tune too.
Have you ever heard of "Pavan for a Dead Princess" by Ravel. Also very beautiful.