Sunday, January 21, 2007

I AM STella

This past weekend I had my first acting debut. I have NEVER taken an acting class previous. For my assignment, I was Stella in "A Streetcar Named Desire." Not exactly an easy first debut, but an easier part than my acting partner, E.E.F., a.k.a., "Blanche DuBois."

Blanche DuBois is undoubtedly one of the most complex characters in American theater to portray. ((Thanks to Tennessee Williams. A drag queen trapped in a straight woman's body))
My acting partner played her admirably.

I was Stella, the lover of brute Stanley, the matronly woman, the salt of the earth, the Eve of the universe. Though my lines may have been easy to memorize, it was difficult for me to "find" the character.

Still, it was a fantastic experience. I wish to act again, perhaps in a 'beginners' class this time.

We acted out Act One, Scene One, where Blanche has just arrived to New Orleans. After participating in the scene, I'd like to rent the 1951 (Elia Kazan) film version again to watch and analyze Kim Hunter's performance. I want to see the rest of the stellar (pardon the pun) cast's performances as well-- Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, & Karl Malden.


Trivia Fun Fact: To audition for the Broadway version of "Streetcar," Marlon Brando was given car fare to Tennessee Williams' home in Provincetown, Massachusetts, where he not only gave a sensational reading, but did some house repairs as well.

No comments: