Sunday, January 22, 2006

Oh Library Thing!

Oh Library Thing

There's a most cool website called Library Thing, which I recently discovered. Bibliophiles can catalogue all their books, and 'tag' them with categories. You can also see how many other folks have the same books or tags. This way you can discover who shares your esoteric interests. Rather than finding reasons to buy fewer books, I've found reasons to buy more books! For example, I see books I don't have and must/should have. I've also felt much better about my book collecting vice. I see some unfortunates suffer from this bibliomaniac vice far worse than I. Some people have 6,000 books! Suddenly my 600 or so books seem hardly worth discussing. I particularly like reading participants' profiles, though I wish more people wrote about their love of books. In profiles we discover the answers to all the fellow bibliophile's burning questions: Why do I have so many books? Where do I put them? What rooms are books piled in? Does my dog/cat like to sit on my books? What are my favorite subjects? Do I read books from cover to cover? Do I read several books at once? How many books are stored in boxes in some other state? How do books make me feel? What if I marry a fellow bibliophile, or a non-bibliophile, or a bibliophobe?

http://www.librarything.com/

No comments: