Friday, June 29, 2012

Adventure in the Family

My second cousin's fifteen year old son climbed Mt. Washington with his Dad this past weekend. They made it to the top, but upon descent Michael fell and broke his leg. A dozen NH Fish and Game and park rangers and AMC employees had to carry him on a litter a mile and 1/2 to the summit. I guess it was very rainy and windy. Grandmother and mom were in Peabody frantically worried, but Michael is alright now. This is a report from the New Hampshire Fish and Game.


June 25, 2012

Mt. Washington carryout
Conservation Officer Matthew Holmes
Region One Office, Lancaster, NH

Injured Hiker Rescued On Mt. Washington

CONCORD, N.H. - On the morning of Monday, June 25, 2012, Michael Hery, 15, of Peabody, Massachusetts, sustained a leg injury after a fall on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail on Mt. Washington. Mr. Hery had spent the previous night at the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Lakes of the Clouds Hut with his father and a friend, and the trio were making their way down the trail when the incident occurred.
Knowing that assistance would be needed, Peter Hery (Michael’s father) ran back to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut and notified staff of the accident. Hut staff returned with Peter to Michael’s location and subsequently helped him hobble back to the hut. At Lakes of the Clouds Hut, Mr. Hery’s leg was splinted, but he was unable to walk. New Hampshire Fish and Game was notified of the incident, and plans were made to carry Mr. Hery in a litter approximately 1.5 miles up to the summit of Mt. Washington, where he could be taken to the hospital via conventional vehicle.
Knowing that the carryout would be difficult, the Appalachian Mountain Club was able to gather 16 members of their staff for the mission. They were joined by two members of the Mt. Washington State Park staff, and together were able get Mr. Hery’s carryout underway at approximately 1:00 p.m. Four members of the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department responded as well, meeting the rescue crew on the Crawford Path just a below the summit. The rescue crew was able to bring Mr. Hery safely to the summit, arriving there shortly before 3:00 p.m. Mr. Hery was subsequently transported to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for further evaluation and treatment.
“It is a huge asset to myself and other Conservation Officers to have such a strong and dedicated group of volunteers to assist with mountain rescues” stated Conservation Officer Matt Holmes. “Despite raw temperatures and driving rain, this crew pushed ahead and had the patient out of the woods as quickly as could be expected.” Peter Hery expressed many thanks to the crew as well, commenting on what a good job they had done. 

No comments: