Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Woman's Tools

I have a vintage Mirro Cooky & Pastry Press, circa the 1950's, 1960's I would guess. It belonged to my friend Steph's mom, and she kept it in pristine condition. Clearly many a fine pastry and cookie was made with this little kitchenware. Inside the recipe book she checked off several types of cookies she wanted to bake--- Danish Royalties, Brown Sugar Bar Cookie, Sour Cream Cookies.

I began thinking wistfully about all the family events, holidays, funerals, and weddings these cookies may have appeared. It's not my family history, but it could be. My grandmothers, aunts, and mom all had their own cookie presses during the 60's. When I look at this object, (which is just a cold, austere aluminum) I think: How many times did her hands touch this press over the years, creating things to nurture a family and make people happy?


My cat was intrigued by the box.....

No comments: