Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Frontier Pies, Utah


Frontier Pies- Utah

July 24, 2002

Yesterday I had a full day. I went into town fairly early. The area around Temple Square and Main Street actually looked like a 'downtown.' I went to the Family History Library first and did about 3 hours of research. About 12 o'clock I went and spent 2 hours in a fantastic bookstore. I bought some hardcovers to be shipped home. Most expenses here are reasonable. They had an incredible amount of books!

Afterwards I went to this divey Irish pub for lunch. The waitress gave me a gigantic Guinness for 3.50, but I had to be 'sponsored' by a local because I'm not a 'member.' I guess even in restaurants you have to be a registered 'member' to consume alcohol. Weird place.

Today is 'Pioneer Day,' so it's a good thing I checked the internet regarding library hours. I couldn't have spent the whole day in the library today. I guess thousands of people come to watch this parade in SLC. It commemorates the first white settlers to Utah. One feature of the parade is a giant float of a chuckwagon with oxen.

I researched last night until about 8:30. It was still light outside-- I got a ride back to the motel, then once again found myself dining at Frontier Pies. I don't know how much more I can take of blaring, 'lost love' country western songs, empty dining rooms with a few elderly tourists, and perky waitresses that check on me every 5 minutes: "How's your pie and soup?" Anyway, I think they were thrilled with my 2 dollars tips!

No comments: